Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Saturday, October 18, 2014

· A Gingham Dress for Kathryn ·


Fall has officially taken hold here and the trees are starting to get gorgeous!  Consequently, this post is a bit out-of-season now.... so try not to notice that this post is much more suited to summer. ;-)  That's one problem with posting just once a week- sometimes the end of the season comes far too quickly!

For Kathryn's next dress, she wanted a simple gingham dress to go with a "theme day" we had conjured up. (If all goes according to plan, you'll get to see the theme next spring or summer.  If it doesn't, well... Kathryn can just enjoy her dress anyway. ;-))




She wanted a very classic red gingham, in a simple, classic shirtdress style.  We used a 1990s pattern they had languishing in their stash for the bodice (proof that you never know when you'll use those ugly, outdated patterns!).  Since all we wanted was a notched collar and darts, it didn't matter that the rest of the pattern was vastly unsuitable for our desires. ;-)

I was really happy with the skirt from Simplicity 1459 when I made it last- it's gathered and flared, so it seemed perfectly suited to this style of dress. :-)


The dress is made from a 100% cotton gingham and is wonderful! :-)  I was concerned it might wrinkle more than the usual cotton/poly ginghams, but even after wearing for long car trips it looks great!

This dress was a great opportunity for practicing my plaid-matching skills, since it only required matching in a few places and came together smoothly. :-)  The only "failure" of sorts was the collar- I need to have a better plan next time for planning that all out! :-P


Her belt is from a different dress she made years ago- and it matches perfectly! :-)

Oh, and isn't her new haircut adorable?!? :-)


This style is so great- wear it without a crinoline for a perfect Audrey Hepburn/picnic look, or with a petticoat and pearls for a quintessentially 1950s look!  It can be dressed up or down so easily. :-)


I am offically convinced that my Summer 2015 Wardrobe is in dire need of a gingham dress.  Now to choose a color and style that doesn't look like I'm trying to copy Kathryn exactly. ;-)

19 comments:

  1. Oh. My. Goodness!!!! I am in love with this dress so much. I love and adore gingham, and the style of the dress is perfect for it!! And Kathryn looks amazing in it, of course. It's just so perfectly ladylike and classic!
    Absolutely lovely job, Lily!! I have to admit I was anxiously awaiting your post this morning. It's definitely one of the highlights of the week!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn's dress is gorgeous! You have inspired me, Lily, with your meticulous fabric pattern/print matching skills! I hope one day I can be as good as you at matching even the craziest of prints.

    Blessings,

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks Brigid! :-) Matching patterns can be a very demanding hobby, but it also brings immense satisfaction. ;-)

      Delete
  3. Beautiful!! From the lookers point of view, nothing wrong can be seen on the collar.
    I love gingham prints, but never happy with the quality of the gingham fabrics that
    they have at Joanns. Maybe Iam looking in the wrong section? Anyway, wondering
    if Kathryn's dress is 100% cotton or a blend purchased at Joanns?
    Thanks!
    Happy Fall
    Irene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Irene, we purchased this gingham from Hancocks and yes, it is 100% cotton. They had a more limited selection of 100% cotton and it was in a different section from the cotton/poly blends. I can't remember if JoAnns had 100% cotton as well.... Hope this helps!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Pretty sure we all need some red gingham in our closet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How Cute!!! :) Makes me want to acquire a gingham dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I remember seeing that belt on Tara's blog awhile back. . .

    Well done on the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful dress! A perfect 1950's style shirtwaist dress! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. She looks great! I love a simple shirtwaist dress and all things gingham :)
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! I love that it is simple but elegant.

    Best,
    Quinn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I've been wanting to make myself a gingham dress! Where do you get your belt buckles? I've wanted to make some vintage belts, but I can't find any buckles that would work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes find my vintage buckles at antique stores, but most frequently through etsy and ebay. :-) Kathryn's buckle here is actually modern- Dritz makes several plain metal buckles like this and you can find them at JoAnns, Wal-Mart, or Hobby Lobby. :-)

      Delete
  11. Oh my stars and garters! Another delightful 50s dress! I LOVE them all! For some reason I especially love the pocket in this dress and of course the lovely shade of red! Fun fun fun!!
    Blessings!
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is definitely the happiest dress I own. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a beautiful dress. Did you modify the collar of the 1459 pattern? If so, have you shared your mod somewhere. I would like to make this pattern and prefer the look of your smaller collar to the wider collar on the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Danielle! I actually only used the 1459 pattern for the skirt of this dress. For the bodice, I used a basic notched-collar pattern (mine was an old 1990s pattern).

      Hope this helps! Let me know if you need anything else. :-)

      Delete
  14. WHERE CAN I FIND A DRESS LIKE THIS?

    ReplyDelete

 

Copyright © 2013 Mode de Lis . All rights reserved. | Designed by PrairieRoseDesigns.com